Johnnie Parks served on the Broken Arrow City Council from 1979-1994, Ward 1; the Broken Arrow Planning Commission 1995-2011; and was elected to the Council’s At Large position in the spring of 2011. Parks was reelected in 2015 and 2019.
Parks graduated from Broken Arrow High School in 1965; Northern Oklahoma College in 1967; received a BS degree in Business from Oklahoma State University in 1969; and a Master’s Degree in Occupational and Adult Education from Oklahoma State University in 1999.
Throughout his career, Johnnie has been involved in the construction industry. Initially, he was a plumbing contractor with his family owned business, Parks Plumbing, Inc. in Broken Arrow. In 1995, after 30 years of ownership, he sold the business and began a career as an instructor in the state career tech system. For 10 years he taught incarcerated men and women the fundamentals of the construction trade for the Skills Centers Division of the Oklahoma State Career Tech. He was a Construction Instructor for Tri-County Technology Center in Bartlesville OK for 13 years. After a teaching career of a total of 23 years, Johnnie retired in 2017.
Johnnie and his wife of 52 years, Myrna (Wair), are lifelong residents of the City of Broken Arrow. They have three sons, two grandsons and one granddaughter. They have been active members at 1st United Methodist Church, Tulsa, for over 30 years.
- Served in the US Army, assigned to The OLD Guard as a member of Honor Guard Company as Casket Bearer at Arlington Cemetery with Honorable Discharge in 1975.
- Johnnie’s first stint on the City of Broken Arrow Council (1979-1994), he served as Vice Mayor for the City of Broken Arrow, on INCOG Board of Directors, and the Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (1990).
- Past Chairman of Broken Arrow Planning Commission.
- Broken Arrow Great Graduate: awarded by Broken Arrow High School Alumni Association for personal and professional achievements. September 30, 2004.
- Oklahoma Municipal League (OML) Honor Roll of Service for a Quarter of a Century (2009)
- Served as commissioner on Commission for Education Quality and Accountability (CEQA) appointed by the Governor. (April, 2014 - June 1, 2017).
- Co-Sponsor Broken Arrow Youth City Council
- Broken Arrow Civitan’s (2018)
- Broken Arrow Seniors Inc (BASI) Board of Directors (2018, 2019, and 2020).
- National League of Cities (NLC) Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Committee. (2019-2020)
- Education Awards: Oklahoma Teaching Certificate (1999 – 2022); National Board Certified Teacher NBCT (2001 – 2021); Phi Kappa Phi; Kappa Delta Pi.