City Council meetings are held on the First and Third Tuesday of each month (First and Third Mondays in June) at 6:30pm in the City Council Chambers:
220 S. First St.
Broken Arrow, OK 74012
Agendas are available prior to the meetings.
The City of Broken Arrow is divided into four wards, which are redrawn periodically in an effort to keep a fairly even population distribution in each. The City Council consists of one member from each of those wards and an at-large member. City Council members are unpaid elected officials. While council members from the four wards must live in that ward, all registered voters in the city are eligible to vote on each. Each member is eligible to serve four years, with elections held every two years. Those council spots are rotated, so that in one election there are three spots before voters and in the next only two.
To contact a Council Member, call: 918-259-8419
Detailed Ward Map (PDF)
Speaking at a City Council Meeting
Guidelines if you wish to speak at a meeting:
- For items on the Posted Agenda, please fill out a “Request to Appear Before the Broken Arrow City Council” form. The forms are available outside the City Council Chambers. Please turn in your form to the Clerk prior to the beginning of the City Council meeting. Each speaker has up to three (3) minutes. The Mayor may set maximum time limits for posted agenda items.
- For items not listed on the agenda, but related to City business or services, you may speak to the Council under “Citizen’s Opportunity to Address the Council.” Please fill out a “Request to Appear Before the Broken Arrow City Council” form. The forms are available outside the City Council Chambers. Please turn in your form to the Clerk prior to the beginning of the City Council meeting. Each speaker has up to three (3) minutes. Please be aware that state law prohibits the Council from taking action on items presented under this section of the agenda.
- If you want someone to speak for your group, please submit all forms completed by the group and the designated speaker(s).
- Applicants will have a maximum of ten (10) minutes to present testimony in favor of the request and an additional five (5) minutes for rebuttal if any opponents of the application have spoken. The Mayor reserves the right to extend the presentation time.
- City Staff members are a resource to the City Council and are present to answer questions and provide additional information.
- Council Members may question a person addressing the Council.
- If you do not want to address the Council, but would like it known that you are in favor of or in opposition to an agenda item, please mark the appropriate section on the “Request to Appear Before the Broken Arrow City Council” form.
When you speak:
- Speakers will be heard only upon recognition by the Mayor. Remarks shall be addressed to the Council as a whole and not any individual City Council Member. Please do not speak to the audience or to any individual in the audience.
- Adjust the microphone so that it is pointed at your mouth, speak clearly, and begin by stating your name and address.
- Limit your remarks to the allotted time limit. A light system in front of the City Clerk will help you pace your remarks. A green light stays on until you reach your final minute, when a yellow light comes on, please conclude your remarks. When the red light comes on, please stop and return to your seat.
- Please focus on new or unique information that other speakers have not covered.
- Comments should address the merits or problems of the issue. Personal attacks on previous speakers, or on the applicant, are generally not helpful. In any event, the speaker is responsible for the content of the speech.
Archived Agendas & Minutes
To view Meeting Agendas and Minutes prior to mid 2015, please contact:
Broken Arrow City Clerk
220 S. First Street
Broken Arrow, OK 74012