Planning and Development
The Planning and Development Division is comprised of planners, project engineers, and commercial and residential plan reviewers. They review applications for land use, zoning, subdivision (plats), comprehensive plan amendments, special uses, variances, planned unit developments (PUD’s), site plans and site engineering. Planning and Development may provide information relative to adopted codes and ordinances on urban design, architecture, and landscaping.
A pre-development meeting, coordinated by the Project Engineer, is required for all major developments prior to preparation of any documents submitted to the City of Broken Arrow.
Each comprehensive plan change, rezoning, platting request, planned unit development, or lot split is submitted to the Planning Commission. The Planning Commission conducts a public hearing on the request and makes a recommendation which is forwarded to the next City Council meeting for a public hearing.
The City Council meets the first and third Tuesday of every month (unless there is a conflict with a legal holiday). The City Council has the final authority for comprehensive plan changes, rezoning, platting, and planned unit developments.
The Board of Adjustment hears requests for appeals to enforcement or interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance and requests for special exceptions. They also hear appeals and variances of the Zoning Ordinance. Variances may not be granted on self-created hardships or hardships resulting from monetary issues.
- Define project
- Does your project need a permit?
- Site information
- Are there site constraints on your project?
- Discretionary review
- Does your project require special approvals?
- Plan review
- Does your project comply with building and land development codes?
- Permits & approvals
- Do you have everything you need to obtain your permits and approvals?
- Are you ready for an inspection?
- Is your project complete?
Banks, lending institutions, insurance providers, or state agencies often require a letter from local government agencies confirming the zoning on a particular piece of property. The Plan Development Division can provide zoning confirmation letters once a written request is received containing the following information:
- Specifics of the request.
- Name, address, and phone number of the person or agency to which the letter should be sent.
- Your name, address, and phone number.
- The legal description and address of the subject property.
- Name of the project.
Request letters should be mailed or faxed to:
Development Services Department
Plan Development Division
P.O. Box 610
Broken Arrow, OK 74013