Mosquito control begins with prevention
The best way to control the mosquito population is by not allowing them to breed in the first place. You can protect yourself against mosquito bites by wearing long sleeves and pants when possible and using mosquito repellent containing DEET when outside.
- Prevent items such as buckets and tarps from holding standing water.
- Empty your outdoor pet’s water bowl and refill daily.
- Rinse, scrub, and refill birdbaths weekly.
- Empty plastic wading pools weekly and store indoors when not in use.
- Regularly maintain swimming pools and outdoor hot tubs.
- Empty water from the pool and hot tub covers weekly.
- Store boats covered or upside down.
- Regularly check for clogged rain gutters and clean them if needed.
- Repair leaky lawn irrigation spouts.
To request mosquito spraying:
Due to federal regulations, the City must first prove there is a mosquito problem before crews can treat the requested area. Information is collected on a weekly basis from permanent trapping sites, and that data helps determine whether treatment is warranted.
You can report a mosquito problem online at ActionCenterBA.com, or use the City’s Action Center app (search for “Action Center Broken Arrow” in your app store) or call the Action Center at 918-258-3587.